Today we’re happy to feature a guest post by Cory Bray, co-founder of ClozeLoop, a sales enablement platform designed to help companies achieve revenue and profitability goals. Bray has ten years’ experience building high-performance sales teams across multiple industries.
Cory and and ClozeLoop co-founder Hilmon Sorey are also co-authors of The Sales Enablement Playbook, now available on Amazon. Whether you’re a sales executive, sales practitioner, or a non-sales executive looking for ways to impact growth, this book will help you identify your role in a thriving enablement ecosystem.
Order your copy here!
By: Cory Bray
I was recently chatting with my friend Sam (CEO of Upcall) about my new book (The Sales Enablement Playbook) and we were talking about how I view Sales Enablement as an ecosystem, not a position or department. He asked, “How do you think Upcall fits into the Sales Enablement ecosystem?” Hmmmm…great question.
After taking some time to think about his question, it’s amazing how many ways companies can augment their internal team with outsourced calling to impact results.
The Obvious: Outbound Sales Development
Remember, sales development teams are just trying to arouse curiosity…not close deals. For that reason, it makes tons of sense to augment the team when leads are in short supply…you won’t be risking quality if you have adequate training for your UpCallers. Some ideas are to focus on include:
- Account-Based Selling: In any given account, there are possibly tens of people who could be your entry point. If they are putting off buying signals, attack the account in a week, not a month.
- Re-Activate Dormant Accounts: Those companies who stopped responding to your AE? Let’s take another look, but let the AE focus on deals that are closing this quarter.
- Target Medium-Priority Contacts: Let your full-time SDRs who you can coach in person handle the high-value leads, but instead of waiting weeks to get to the medium leads, get after it now!
Inbound Sales Development: Handle Those Spikes
Have you ever received an email saying it was great meeting you at a tradeshow….6 weeks after the tradeshow? Terrible, right? Well, when there are spikes in inbound interest, there are three options:
- Make Inbound SDRs work 80 hours a week and violate the Overtime Provision of the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Wait weeks to follow up with leads
- Augment the team
One option stands out from the crowd…
Sales Development Meets Customer Success
As we describe in our book, one of the most overlooked sources of leads is employees who used to work at your customer but now work elsewhere. If they loved your product in their last job, make them an evangelist in their new job! It’s tricky to hunt them down, but it’s totally possible. Take your research and feed it to an UpCaller for a whole new revenue stream.
More Customer Success
In addition to generating leads, why not make some calls to capture:
- Net Promoter Score: It’s tough to rely on email responses to NPS surveys. Augment them with calls.
- End-User Success Stories: When it comes time to renew, do you have enough data to support your case? Make calls to individual end users to capture their stories, then aggregate these for renewal conversations.
- Product Feedback: Figure out what specifically is holding you back, and take those details to the product team for consideration.
Based on the feedback here, you might need to tweak your product, target market, or selling approach. All of these adjustments will seriously enable the sales team moving forward.
So Much More…
These are just some of the ideas that came to mind, but depending on your business, there are probably several additional applications.
Get more leads. Get better leads. Figure out why the leads you’re getting aren’t converting. Understand customer satisfaction levels and address any options. What’s not to love here?
It’s pretty cool how many places UpCall fits into the Sales Enablement Ecosystem!